GO FRESH, GO JUICE!!!

I love any kind of juice out there; apple, orange, grapefruit, pineapple, grape, mango, you name it. If you're like me, you believe that drinking juice is very healthy for you, which in fact it is. 
And...if you're like me, you mostly drink bottled juice you buy in the store, which in fact is not necessarily bad for either of us, just not very good. Why? I'd first start by looking at the nutritional facts on the bottle and googling nutritional facts for the same fruit freshly squeezed and compare the two. 
Actually, I've done a little of this for you. Check out this table:

Nutritional Facts
8 fluid oz.
Florida’s Natural Grapefruit Juice* Freshly Squeezed Grapefruit Juice**
Calories
90
96
Potassium
300mg
400mg
Total Carbohydrate
22g
23g
Sugars
20g
23g
Vitamin A
0%
2%
Vitamin C
100%
156%
Thiamin
6%
0%
Niacin
2%
0%
Folate
6%
0%
Vitamin B2
2%
10%
Calcium
2%
2%
Iron
0%
3%

Most of the vitamins that are in Florida's Natural have been added after pasteurization. What is pasteurization? It is heat processing the juice to kill bacteria. While it is killing bacteria, it kills the vitamins as well, so then synthetic vitamins are added to replace what was lost. 
Synthetic vitamins are chemically made and not near as beneficial for us as natural, God-given vitamins.
So, as you look at the chart above, what you see is a lot more natural nutrition in a fresh cup of grapefruit juice versus the bottled juice. This is why drinking juice from a grapefruit is much healthier than from processed grapefruit juice.

Okay, we agree on that, right? If we are going to change the way we do things, the new way has to somehow fit into our schedules, because hey, not everyone has time to hand squeeze fruit everyday, right? Or do we?

I was shopping at Ross Dress For Less this past Saturday and picked up a manual juicer. My first thought is I want to be healthy the cheap way. Someday I might splurge on one of those Breville juicers, but today, I'm taking this baby home and using my arms.


It's fantastic! The feeling I get from having squeezed my own oranges is an unbelievable accomplishment. It's like hugging myself.
I honestly thought that it would be much harder, but I was so surprised at how very easy it is to squeeze grapefruit 'by hand.'

Check out my video on my first time using my new manual juicer:





If you are not making your juice now, I strongly suggest for you to start. The freshness of the taste supersedes anything you will buy in a bottle at the store. 
And, you do have time everyday to squeeze your juice. It takes me less than 2 minutes to cut a grapefruit and squeeze it. I know, I know, you're saying, "Yeah, but it like takes me 30 seconds to pour a glassful from the fridge." I hear you, but do this for you!!! 

Okay, so you're not for doing it manually. There's lots of great juicers out there that you can buy under $60. What about this one or maybe this one

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you are convince that extracting your own juice is the best and most healthful thing you can do for yourself. 


GO FRESH,GO JUICE!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment